Pet Safety Tips for the 4th of July

An English Bulldog puppy waves the American flag

The Fourth of July is a great time for relaxation with friends and family – and of course your four legged family members.   A barbecue, alcohol, and fireworks are often a great way to spend the day. However, these things can be potentially dangerous to your pets so it’s important to keep them safe during the holiday.   Here are some tips to keep them safe:

Keep your pets indoors during fireworks displays.
It can be tempting to bring your pet family member to a fireworks show but these events can be quite scary and stressful. Large noises can spook your dog (or cat) to run away and get lost. It’s best to keep your pet in a quiet, sheltered, and escape-proof area of your home.

Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended in reach of pets.
Alcohol has the potential to be poison to your pets. If ingested, your pet could become intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death is also a possibility.

Do not apply sunscreen or insect repellent products to your pet that isn’t specifically for use on animals.
Ingestion of these products can be harmful to your pet. They can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and more. It’s best to keep these products away from your pet.

Have your pet properly identified.
If your pet manages to break free during the chaos of the holiday, you want to make sure that the person who finds him or her can contact you. Be sure your pet has identification tags and/or is microchipped. ID tags should have your name and phone number. Make sure you also have a recent picture of your pet available in case you need to make signs to find your lost pet.

Keep your pet away from Glow in the Dark Jewelry.
Glow in the dark jewelry is super fun to wear but it’s not for your pet – even if it looks cute. Your pet could chew up and swallow parts of it. While it’s not highly toxic, it could still result in your pet getting really sick.

Never use fireworks around your pet.
Pets can be really curious about fireworks but they can cause them to result in burns and/or trauma. Even unused fireworks can be dangerous as they contain toxic materials.

The most important thing is to stay safe. Celebrate the holiday with your pet indoors then go outdoors to celebrate with your friends and family.